Microsoft Edge, the default browser that comes with every version of Windows 10 is loved by many, but hated by the majority of. Edge is a half-hearted effort by Microsoft to create a user-friendly browser that is fast. If you’ve become accustomed to Edge and its features, it is difficult to change. If you’re running an older computer running Windows 7 or 8 then you might want for you to download Microsoft Edge browser on Windows 7 and Windows 8. Let’s look at how you can do this on systems that run Windows 7 and Windows 8.
You may have noticed that Edge isn’t supported by Microsoft in the older Version of Windows. Microsoft is also working on a brand new version of Edge that is built on Chromium which is the foundational block of Chrome. Chrome browser. It will work to Windows 7 and 8 natively. But until the stable version is released, you can try these workarounds below to install Edge running on the Windows 7 or Windows 8 machine.
Table of Contents
Method 1 – Using Browserstack To Run Edge
Browserstack is a cloud-based testing platform that allows designers to evaluate their capabilities using a browser doesn’t exist locally. Browserstack lets you run virtual images and builds within a cloud-based environment, without the need to download large virtual machine software or system images to run applications.
Microsoft has joined forces with Browserstack to enable the use of for free Edge for its platforms. The site can be accessed by clicking here. You’ll need to sign up for an account to access the page.
- Go to the browserstack homepage.
- Log in and then go on to the dashboard.
- On the menu left, choose Microsoft and then select Windows 10
- Select Edge to start the virtualization process. will begin.
- This will start an localized virtual machine that is hosted in the cloud within the browser and allows you to utilize Edge within your browser.
There are some issues with latency that you may experience because the platform is entirely virtualized in the cloud. However, it gives users an easy method to run Edge on your computer.
Method 2 – Installing the Virtual Machine on your system to install the Edge browser locally
To use this method it is necessary to install a virtualization program on your computer, such as Virtualbox Vagrant, Hyper-V, or VMWare. Let’s look at how to install the Edge browser for Windows 7 and Windows 8 using VirtualBox.
- Install the Virtual Box to install on your computer.
- Make sure you are using 7-Zip or Winrar for extracting the file.
- Get the VM image for Edge from Microsoft’s site.
- Select MSEdge for Windows 10 (x64) Select Stable 1809 in Virtual Machine and choose the platform as VirtualBox.
- Take all the files out of the zip file you downloaded, and place them on your desktop.
- Open Virtual Box, and then press Control + I.
- Select the tiny file icon, then navigate to the file you extracted from Step 3. It will be an .ova extension.
- If you click next, you’ll be presented with a page for configuration of your hardware. Set it up according to the specifications of your system. A secure configuration is between 30 and 50 percent of your system’s resources. Make sure at least 2GB of RAM are allotted for the VM.
- After that you can click import and wait for the process to finish. It could take a few minutes.
- It is possible to access the VirtualBox dashboard will be displayed following the configuration. Select MSEdge-Win10_preview, and you will be transferred to a virtual desktop within the VM.
- Its default username is IEUser, and your password will be Passw0rd!
- After logging into your account, you’ll be able to click the tiny e Icon for the browser to launch the browser and utilize Edge.
- You’ll be able to utilize Edge like it was local to your computer.
Things you need to be aware of Things to keep in mind
- The VM images will expire after 90 days, and you must reinstall them.
- The data stored in the VM is cleared after the expiration of an image.
- It is recommended to save a backup of your settings and files to make it easier to usage.
Method 3 – Make Your Current Browser Look Like Edge
Edge offers a nice minimalist, clean, and simple user interface. Its design may appeal to you and if that’s your preference, then you can create Firefox appear like Edge by using the theme. At present, only Firefox supports the theme, therefore If you’re an Chrome, Opera, or Internet Explorer user then you are out of luck. To make firefox look like an edge
- Download and install an add-on called “Stylish” in the Firefox repository.
- After installing it, go into your Userstyles webpage.
- Click to install using Stylish.
- You can select between dark and light themes when installing.
- Click Install and a pop-up window will come up. You can select to preview it or immediately install the program.
- Once installed, voila! Once installed, your Firefox will begin to look similar to Edge like you see it in the picture.
The Easiest And The Most Effective Way To Experience Edge
Although these solutions allow users to utilize Edge but they’re not the most effective options. The most efficient way to utilize Edge is by installing Windows 10 on your system. It is easy to upgrade the Windows 7 or Windows 8 system up to Windows 10 by using the Windows Media Creation tool. Windows 10 brings in a variety of usability improvements and security features . I highly suggest you upgrade, particularly if you are still running Windows 7.
However If you don’t wish to use the previously mentioned solutions for installing Edge on an unsupported Windows then simply install the Dev version that is based on Chromium Edge that is now available on Windows 7, Windows 8, as well as Windows 8.1. It’s important to note that because it’s a developer version, it is less stable than the final version.
How can you Uninstall Edge?
If you’re someone who isn’t a fan of Edge in the Windows 10 machine, here is a guideline that provides the steps to remove the Edge browser. There are a few excellent reasons to simply leave it inactive. If you want to remove it, you are able to do so. it.
If you have any feedback or suggestions, please feel free to post them in the comments section below.