From humble beginnings in 2004, SiteGround is now a global company hosting over 2,000,000 websites. With data centers in the UK, the USA, Bulgaria, Australia, and Spain, it is a worldwide success and definitely one of our top recommended web hosts for Australia and the best hosting for Canada. Read any SiteGround review, and you’ll find one common thread—clients appreciate the fast load speeds and reliability of the service.
On the downside, it’s not the cheapest provider out there. Is it worth paying extra every month? Find out below.
To preface this section, you’ll find many firms with basic plans that are much cheaper. Before you compare it, you may want to consider all packages at SiteGround, including:
- Managed WordPress: Other firms charge around $25 to $40 for a package that includes managed WordPress optimized for, say, Australia
- Free SSL and Cloudflare CDN: Many firms charge extra for these features
- No traffic metering, and unlimited databases: Before we get too excited about this one, the webspace data limits are low. The plans allow between 10 GB and 40 GB of web space, limiting how much traffic you receive and how many sites you may run.
The point is that it would not be fair to SiteGround to make a back-to-back comparison with its average competitor. SiteGround’s products are unique.
It has made it easy to choose a package since there are only three–Startup, Grow Big, and Go Geek.
You’ll pay a special rate of between $6.99 and $14.99 per month if you pay the first year’s fees upfront. Upon renewal, you’ll pay between $14.99 and $39.99 per month.
Customer support is an area where the business should improve. There’ve been complaints that support staff is not always helpful, which is normal in any service industry. Clients may reach out via instant chat, or through creating a support ticket on-site.
- Uptime guaranteed at 99.9%
- Impressive load speeds
- 24/7 support
- Free website migration for your primary site
- Migrate the remainder easily using SiteGround’s free tool
- Free advanced technology assist for Go Geek users
- User-friendly tools
- Fee charged once-off per additional site if you exceed your package limits
- A flat fee of $30 for extra sites, if you exceed the limits of your package
- Free Cloudflare CDN, SSL, and Managed WordPress services
- No limit on databases or traffic
- Enough features to delight both beginners and seasoned developers
- Robust protection against cyberattacks for your website
- 15 to 30-day money-back guarantee, depending on the product you choose
- There are cheaper options for basic packages. E.g., Hostinger
- The cost is too high if you’re not interested in a managed solution
- Allocated webspace is only between 10 GB and 40 GB
- Domain names are an extra expense
- Service complaints evident
Should you consider signing up for SiteGround? Once you understand the product offering, it’s worth consideration.
The site loading speeds with SiteGround are impressive, and even if your site isn’t fully optimized, you should notice an improvement. It also boasts reliable uptime, which might be worth the additional expense. The managed WordPress service is a nice bonus, but it’s unnecessary if you have a fair amount of experience in optimizing websites.
The managed service is excellent for any seasoned professional, however. The service optimizes site performance and automates the update WordPress and any plugins, so if you’re a busy developer managing several sites, this is a handy shortcut. It also ensures that the websites are updated as soon as new drivers are released.
If you never seem to find the time to check for updates, this service could prevent many problems.
What’s the outcome of our SiteGround review? For speed and reliability, the firm packs a punch. The all-in-one service packages are also ideal for those wanting a reliable, managed solution.